Fall Prevention Therapy Program
Falls are a leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries in adults aged 65 and above. According to the CDC, each year 2.8 million such people are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries. Also, over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of an injury caused by a fall, most often a head injury or hip fracture. More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling. Also as per CDC, the direct medical costs for fall injuries is 31 billion dollars annually.
Greendale Physical Therapy offers an evidence-based fall-prevention program. Our aim is to help decrease falls for people most likely to fall and be injured by a fall, and in so doing to reduce healthcare bills that could have been avoided, and to increase quality of life.
Evaluation and Assessment:
Our physical therapists evaluate patients on their first visit to us. A detailed evaluation helps to assess the risk of falls. Examination and evaluation includes the following features:
- Detailed history, including history of recent falls, and use of assistive devices
- Assessment of flexibility and strength
- Specific standardized balance tests (5x sit to stand, TUG, Berg, DGI). You, our patient, will be given a score and will be categorized as being at a low, medium or high risk of falling.
- Based on the evaluation and assessment, we will help design a plan with your individual goals.
- Frequency of the program will be 2-3 sessions per week depending on one’s scoring and needs. Duration will be 4-8 weeks, based on your needs.
Fall Prevention Treatment Sessions:
Each fall-prevention treatment sessions will be broken into 3 parts under the supervision of the treating therapist:
- Endurance training
- Gentle stretching and strength training
- Balance training
We will re-evaluate you at 4 weeks and all the tests will be repeated. You’ll be scored again, based on the re-examination. You and your physical therapist will discuss continuation of physical therapy, depending on the extent to which you’ve met your goals. When appropriate, we will give you a basic HEP (home exercise program) at for continued strength and conditioning.
Contact Greendale Physical Therapy to get started
You don’t have to wait for your doctor to provide you with a referral. You can reach out to our office to make an appointment right now, and we’ll work with your insurance company.
Greendale Physical Therapy, LLC helped me regain the strength in my ankles and feet to keep me walking and continue to exercise and golf. The staff are all well skilled, pleasant, and supportive. I would highly recommend them to my friends for PT. They are a great group!
280 Boston Turnpike
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
120 Gold Star Boulevard
Worcester, MA 01545
145 Church Street
Clinton, MA 01510